Saturday, August 17, 2013

Super Mario 2, Doki Doki Panic, and how Nintendo probably made the right decision...



So I have been scouring the web for a playable Japanese SMB2, also known as "The Lost Levels" on the later SMB All Stars for SNES. It's been rough. For some ridiculous reason, all of my emulator/playable go-to's load the game and then get stuck in that magical black abyss RIGHT before the game actually begins. I don't want the graphics enhancement, I want the original. The 8-bit, too many gaps in the floor plan, turtles getting glitch stuck in the decor, misplaced "nicer" background looking ORIGINAL.
The good news is, I found a working version. The bad news is, this game still totally blows.


Whoever decided to scrap the Japanese sequel to Super Mario Bros. and completely rip off literally every single thing in "Doki Doki Panic!" deserves free blow jobs for life. I remember playing Lost Levels back in primary school and thinking, "Eh, this is cool because I didn't know about them n' stuff but......*reset*" My childlike innocence had a point. SMB2 (US) Changed the dynamics of Mario for American audiences FOREVER, enhanced what Mario could do to his enemies, and allowed players to experience the game through the eyes of Toad and Princess... Granted it was all 100% stolen intellectual property but it still changed the Mario Motif forever and after revisiting the Japanese version, I am really glad it did.
(Oh and use the Flash portal...)

No comments:

Post a Comment